Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Introduction

I thought perhaps that now would be a good time for a more thorough introduction of what I intend to discuss on this blog. It's in my nature, I guess, to introduce my subject matter rather than to just plunge in, even as my mind drifts to a plethora of random fantasy related topics that I am itching to write about. But it will all be for naught, I believe, if my readers have no idea of where I come from. And so I resist the urge to digress. . .

One of the chief aims of this blog is for me to chronicle my journey toward publication. No, I have not signed a deal, gotten an agent, or even started querying yet, but these are all things that I hope to see come to fruition sometime in the near future. And so, dear blogger, I invite you to journey with me. Along the way I intend to share my thoughts on aspects of the writings of the great masters in whose footsteps I tenuously tread: C. S. Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkien, and J. K. Rowling. Ranging from the light and humorous to the deep, spiritual and mesmerizing, I will pontificate on it all.

As one might be able to guess, I write fantasy fiction. Last summer I set a goal to start and finish the first novel in a six book series for teens, complete with planning for the remaining five installments. I completed my goal and churned out a 374 page novel, plot synopses of all six books, and pages upon pages of notes in just two and half months. So the question of can I do it has, I think, already been answered, but another question remains: Is it any good? That is the crucial point. I have the drive, I have the passion, and I believe I have the talent, but other people have to believe all those things, too, before I can achieve publication.

As to why anybody should be interested in what I have to say in this blog. . . well I defer to the example of C. S. Lewis when he entered into a correspondence and a friendship with a boy named Arthur Greeves. Lewis said that it was the greatest joy to discover that another boy existed who shared his love of Norse Mythology, and they entered into some of the greatest dialogues Lewis ever experienced in his lifetime. "You mean that you like [this] too?" Is one of the happiest things that a person can say to another person, in my opinion, and I hope that my musings will spark that light of interest and recognition in others. Thanks for reading, and happy blogging!

No comments:

Post a Comment