Search This Blog

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Reflections on Rejection

The agency that was reviewing my manuscripts for the past couple months unfortunately decided to pass on pursuing a representative relationship with me. So, I'm left to reflect on being rejected, yet again. Here's the thing, though, the publishing industry is a very difficult industry, and I've often commented to people that getting an agent or an "official" publisher is rather like trying to get discovered in Hollywood. That being said, I'm not trying to bellyache, I just want to be honest about how I, an independent author, respond to this sort of experience, because perhaps it will help some of you out there who are just beginning your publishing journeys. I have been here before, but unfortunately this time is particularly discouraging. I had a very good referral to this agency, and it still wasn't good enough. Unfortunately, too, I happened to have a very bad day yesterday (having experienced something that I hope I will never have to experience again) and got home to open my e-mail and discover that the agent had finally e-mailed me back after having my manuscripts for almost three months. Now, obviously there is no way that he could have known the sort of day that I had had, but I had to shake my head at the extreme irony of the situation. Sometimes things just work out like that. Anyhow, he was very kind in "letting me down easy" and gave me a few recommendations for other agents to query, but I just don't know if I have the energy to start over from square one again (not right now, at least). Once upon a time I would have questioned my ability to write or tell a good story, but I don't do that anymore. My abilities as a storyteller and writer have already been confirmed by my readership (whom I love very, very dearly!), many of whom have contacted me spontaneously over the past two years to express their delight over my books. Some of my students are so enthusiastic about my stories that they pester me weekly to start writing book 3 already! I know that I write stories that teenagers want to read, so why is it that the professionals don't agree? I just don't know... it's rather puzzling to me. I can only conclude that this particular agency simply wasn't the right match for me. I do not thumb my nose at them or anything of that sort. I still have every respect for them as an agency. If all I ever become is a local "celebrity" (using that term VERY loosely), then that is good enough for me. It was a great joy for me to help some of my students write their outside reading reports on my books this month, and I will be happy to keep on doing that year after year. From here I will just keep plugging along. I will start writing book 3 in two weeks and will have the rough draft completed by the first week of August. I continue to sell a few books every week, and I hope to get a few more book signings set up over the summer, as well. I plan on unveiling the cover for book 3 in June, so keep on the lookout for that! You are going to love it.

In totally unrelated news, my brother the game designer, Dennis Hoyle, is unveiling his debut card game tonight! It's an award-winning card game called Drop Site and you can preorder it at http://www.bellwethergames.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment