Search This Blog

Friday, June 3, 2011

Friday Update

After my first full week of writing, I am on page 55 of The White Thread. I feel okay about that page count - good, but not spectacular. It's perfectly on schedule, I just think that I can do better. I seem to stall out after every couple paragraphs and sit and stare at the computer for a few minutes mulling over how to word the next section. Usually things flow a little bit easier than that for me, so I just don't feel as though I'm completely on my game. That being said, when I go back and reread what I've written so far, I actually feel pretty good about it! So... we'll see how it all turns out. I'm currently in the middle of chapter 5, which is an add on chapter that wasn't in my original outline. Sometimes that happens when you are writing; you suddenly realize that you need more transition from A to B. Anyhow, there's a scene in chapter 5 that I think needs to be there to help set up/remind the reader of the nature of magic in Alitheia. I've already gotten them back to Alitheia, which is good because it gives me a lot of pages in which to develop the conflict there (or, I should say, continue the conflict that was set up in The Oracle). The setting of this book is going to be (largely) more contained than the previous two, which gives me a chance to work on the relationships between various characters. (Any of my students who will be reading this for outside reading should be taking notes! Relationships in The White Thread = important! And I don't just mean romantic relationships.) My brain is, for now, however, somewhat dead. I've been staying up into the wee hours of the morning writing, and I don't think I'm going to be able to burn the midnight oil tonight. Maybe... I don't know... We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment