Search This Blog

Friday, June 10, 2011

Second Friday Update

I have another good week of solid writing behind me, but I can't shake this sense of urgency! Gotta get it done, gotta get it done, gotta get it done! I have a lot of work to do to prepare for the classes I will be teaching next year, and that's hanging over my shoulder making me feel as though I can't relax into the writing process. That being said, I do believe that what I've produced so far is good. So I guess that feeling stressed is not actually hindering the creative process (although all of you will be the ultimate judge of that when the book comes out). I really, in particular, like the chapter that I wrote yesterday (which was chapter 8, but I'm not going to reveal the title). I always enjoy writing scenes that contain a lot of emotion and a lot of energy. It also has a bit of a twist ending that might be unexpected, so that was fun to write. What made it most enjoyable to write, however, was that it just flowed from me. I knew exactly what I wanted each character to say and where I wanted all the action to take place without it being forced. I could picture it very clearly in my mind, as well, which is also important. Of course, I always imagine my books as movies, so each scene appears in my mind as I conceive it and put it to paper, but when I can picture what the characters are doing and how they are acting, emoting, etc. before I even begin blocking it out, that's a good sign! Anyhow, perhaps I have belabored this. I am on page 112, so that puts me on pace with where I was last week (a little ahead, actually, as chapter 1 doesn't begin until page 6 or 7). I hope to have a post about voice early next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment